This post is all about Give Life Chennai Marathon that i have participated this morning along with some of my mates in TCS. My company registered us as a part of TCS-Maitree and we are asked to assemble at the War Memorial chennai at 6.30AM.
Woke up in the morning at 4.30 and started in a local train to war memorial. I have seen lot of people have boarded the same train which i am in with their own sports attire. It started raining when i am in the train and when I got down the train and started towards the War Memorial, these are the things that I observed.
- A Rainbow giving a warm welcome to all the participants that came to run for a cause.
- Different groups of people with their respective flags and T-Shirts.
- Some people with their Marg-I LOVE CHENNAI T-Shirt.
- Typical sport shorts.
- Sport shoes
- Police blocking the road that leads to War Memorial to avoid vehicles getting in to the road.
- Co-runners waking towards the war memorial to meet their groups.
- Cheer leaders getting ready to cheer the crowd.
- School kids with their professional bands.
- Ambulances from different hospitals like Life Line, Appolo etc., for the emergency assistance
- Charitable organizations getting ready to distribute free water packets.
- THE HINDU volunteers, supplying free sun caps and T-Shirts.
- Registration Number boards.
- Crowds shouting their own slogans.
- Volunteers directing the crowd to the right place as per their registration.
- Mic set’s everywhere with the Chennai Marathon Anthem coming out of them.
- A very big queue of people heading towards THE HINDU COUNTER to collect their free sun caps and T-Shirts.
I Called up few of my friends to check where they are and finally we 10 of us have assembled at one point. We then realized that there are lot of TCS guy’s scattered somewhere in the crowd. Manjula, Maitree Coordinator has gone to the announcer to give an announcement for TCS participants. We then started waving TCS’s Maitree flag on the stage on the dance floor to gather all the TCS participants.
I was able to locate Mukund and Charan in this huge crowd. And when these guys have come, the fun started with photo session and slogan shouts. Atlast we were able to locate lot of TCS guys and we finally we around 50-60. Everybody have assembled at one point and we all had the official number places on our chests. By this time the 7KM run has already started, and we ran with a big shout.
Even though it is supposed to be a run, there is no much of actual run because of the heavy crowd. We hardly ran in the Marathon. “TCS KA HALLA GULLA…………..! HU HA HU HA”. “MAITREE KA HALLA GULLA!…………. HU HA HU HA”. “CHENNAI KA HALLA GULLA…..! HU HA HU HA”. These are the slogans by charan that attracted the concentration of the crowd around, when the TCS guys are moving towards the destination. And this way, the Marathon ended successfully and Maitree’s participation in it notable.
I see lot of old people and small kid’s that are running in view of giving charity. Every participant in this had their own contribution in making this event a grand success. The organizers have taken lot of efforts to make the arrangements for this events. And THE POLICE, Whew……… They have really done a very good job. Cheer leaders have danced until they are damn tired, to cheer up the running crowd.
I feel very good and happy to participate in this…………
- Because I see lot of unity among the people that represent CHENNAI.
- Because I see all of them that are running for a great cause.
- Because I see all the people joining hands together and telling the homeless kid’s that “we are all there, and we will always be there for them”.
- Because I see lot of smiles and laughs among people.
My day has become really meaningful with the participation in this event. As soon as I came home I uploaded the photos in to Picasa and below is the album.